Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Um, Wow


That posting once a day thing didn't happen. There's good reason for that; I spent every day in Nice not in my room on the internet. I consider that progress.

Nice is indeed Nice. I spent all of Sunday lounging on the beach on my own personal bed. Yes, I rented a bed for the day.

The beach at Nice is a rock beach. I know that sounds painful, but they're all super smooth. Still, the really swank hotels have their own private beaches where you can rent a bed with a canopy.

Each section has their own personal waiter. For some reason, my waiter was extremely nice to me, so he found me a bed in the front row, right by the water. Next to my bed was a carpet into the Mediterranean. This, people, is luxury. Oh, and it was a topless beach. I was topless.

I spent Monday doing all the non-Beach things Nice had to offer. I started by visiting a Russian Orthodox Cathedral that looked like it was airlifted from the Kremlin. Pictures weren't allowed but I managed to take some incognito photos with my palm pre. It's possible that I'm going to Russian Orthodox hell, but it was totally worth it.

I then walked in cool Mediterranean rain up to the Marc Chagall museum. I knew nothing about Chagall and had low expectations for the place. When I walked in, I was immediately blown away. His paintings were so vivid and meaningful. The museum was arranged by periods of his artistic life, culminating in a room with a series of religious paintings centered on depictions of famous events from the Old Testament. Very cool. I'll post pictures once I upload them from my camera.

After that, I walked what seemed like forever up to the Matisse Museum. That was exhausting. So exhausting that I'll leave it for another post...

Part II to come later...I gotta run...


1 comment:

saisai said...

i LOVE marc chagall! so jealous.