Saturday, August 1, 2009

A Seat at the High Table


As mentioned previously, Friday nights at Oxford are formal dinner nights. Everyone gets all spiffy and is served a classy meal. Last night was doubly significant because it was a celebration of Professor Steinhardt's birthday. My contribution was a performance of Bach's first cello suite.

When I arrived, Professor Steinhardt asked me if I'd be willing to perform some Bach for the group. I agreed and then rented a cello. Once I rented the cello, I was told that I would be performing after formal dinner on the third Friday night.

As you might imagine, I was quite nervous about performing in front of the whole group. So, in order to prepare, I forced myself to go out busking. I figured if I could play it well on a crowded street, I could play it well in a gorgeous chapel.

I think it turned out okay. There is video, but my camera is out of batteries. Once that situation is remedied, I will post the video. The setting was perfect for Bach, my cello sounded good, and everyone was extremely appreciative. I wish you all could have been there to witness it live. Hopefully the video will suffice.


No comments: