Saturday, January 24, 2009

Ummm, yaaaa


So, I survived the ski trip. How? I have no idea. When we arrived, the thermometer read -9 degrees. -9 degrees feels exactly how you imagine it would; like a complete absence of warmth. As soon as I stepped outside, I could feel everything in my nose freeze. Gross, right? Hey, I'm trying to be descriptive.

I then spent the rest of the night doing what people do on the GW Law ski trip. After a few hours of sleep (and Wii playing), I hit the slopes. I'm not a fantastic skier. I can get down the mountain without paralysis, but I've been run over by skiers before and subsequently ski patrolled off the slopes. That is not good times. I was hoping to avoid a repeat performance.

Surprisingly, and certainly out of character for me, I did the smart thing and stuck to the green and blue slopes (beginner and intermediate). Although I wiped out a few times on both days, I did so with grace and lived to tell the story. Clearly, the lack of hospital visits indicates progress.

On both of the final nights, I continued to do what people do on the GW Law ski trip. This mostly involved many hours of playing Kings, F&^^@ the Dealer, and Ride the Bus. Now, that last one is a doozy. If you're itching to find new and creative ways to get drunk, I would advise playing Ride the Bus. You will get drunk. Quickly. Embarrassingly. Laughingly. Amazingly. Do it.

Perhaps the highlight of the trip was the annual trip to Snowshoe's "Connection" nightclub. When people from previous ski trips mentioned "Connection," they couldn't do so without laughing. This piqued my curiosity. Surely we can all use some connecting in our lives, no?

It was everything I'd hoped for. Semi-toothless bouncers guarded the entrance like it was their personal conjugal trailer. Inside, a DJ spun "hits" while many GW Law girls danced on the stage. Meanwhile, the townies stared at them, sadly thinking they were attractive. Ah, isolation (I'm mean, they were all quite lovely).

We ultimately made our way back on MLK Day, a little wiser, a little sadder, and definitely drunker. Thank you, GW Law Ski Trip, for teaching me such great lessons. I'll never forget you.

No comments: