Sunday, November 9, 2008

5k = PAIN


My nipples hurt. Seriously, they feel like someone rubbed a piece of sandpaper on them. My legs feel like lead. I smell bad. Why? Because I brilliantly made the last second decision to run a 5k.

My friends are into justice. Make that equal justice.  Unfortunately, GW Law's Equal Justice Foundation was putting on a race. I learned yesterday that most of my friends were planning on running in the race. 

I explained to them how out of shape I was, how much I enjoyed sleeping, how much I hated running. But no, they insisted I come. In classic sucker fashion, I agreed to go.

3.1 miles and a piss poor half hour of running later, I'm sitting on the couch trying to regain my bearings. I'm pretty sure I have my dignity but I might have lost it on the final hill when I decided to stop running and walked for half a mile. I used to have some pride but that took a hit when a woman from the 40-49 group blazed past me. 

I took some valuable lessons away from this experience: 1) don't eat four pieces of pizza, cake, cupcakes, and drink three beers the night before running in a 5k, 2) if you're out of shape and hate running, don't run in a 5k, 3) don't run in a 5k. 

No comments: